Have you ever been running late on Sunday morning and can’t remember what music you need to take or who’s singing that service? Yes, this has happened to me. I’ll get to church feeling like I’m already running behind. Usually, that’s the day that someone calls in sick or half the choir is out with a flu bug.
I try to get my heart and mind prepared the night before. Here’s a sample checklist:
· Practice special music – put music in music bag
· Practice offertory – put music in music bag
· Practice hymns, including introductions
· Practice choir music – put music in music bag
· Look over order of service
· Put music bag near the door (so I don’t have to look for it in the morning)
This list is not exhaustive, but you get the idea. Lastly, get a good night’s sleep! Go to bed early. I find I make more mistakes playing when I’m tired. I can’t give the necessary support needed when I can’t even concentrate!
Preparation is the key! The Lord deserves our best and we should be prepared to do no less for Him.
Do you have any preparation suggestions? I would love to hear from you!